Children’s Garden Aides help families enjoy the Children’s Garden with a variety of tasks such as interacting with our guests, sharing about plants and foliage, assisting with planned crafts/activities.
Classes and projects at Discovery Garden are inspiring and just plain fun! Join the Education staff by assisting with field trips, craft projects, badge workshops, camp days and other education-based special events.
Get your exercise and share your love of our gardens as you lead scheduled group tours for adults and/or children.
Be a voice for the Garden as you answer and relay visitor calls and inquiries.
As a host, you’ll assist visitors coming through the Butterfly House and answer their questions while providing safety for our guests and our butterflies. Learn about the butterfly’s life cycle and become educated on the different species of butterflies and plants inside the Butterfly House. – coming soon
Use your “green thumb” and help maintain the gardens throughout the year. Depending on the season, you can help plant, mulch, water, dead-head, or remove /add plants in an area and on a day that interests you; or attend our monthly Weed & Feeds for a very social gardening experience and shared lunch.
With a historic and older estate subject to Maui weather there is always some building maintenance or new project underway, from children’s activity tables to planters and tree trimming. If you have the skills we probably have the need.
Join the excitement when you assist at any of our special events or fundraisers we offer throughout the year.
- Assist with the preparation and facilitation of Discovery Garden activities.
- Set-up/take-down: decorations, lighting, etc.
- Registration/ check in/greeters/vallet assistance/etc.
- Evening and/or weekend shifts are available.
Training for volunteers will be provided by Imua staff monthly, applications are screened with background checks prior to being accepted and trained. Mahalo for understanding.
Benefits of Volunteering
Volunteering at Discovery Garden is a fun and educational experience in a beautiful setting and pleasant environment. Our goal is to give you the opportunity to make new friends and enjoy activities with others who share your interests while doing a great service for our garden and our community.
Our volunteers are our greatest asset. As a non-profit organization, we count on our volunteers to help develop and maintain our magnificent flowering gardens in the heart of Wailuku. Without volunteers, the Gardens would not exist.
Here are a few of the many reasons to volunteer with us:
- Learn interesting facts about our estate and grounds and the history of Wailuku.
- Develop work skills in a variety of volunteer areas inside and outside. (mostly out)
- Meet fascinating people from our community and around the world.
- Use and share your own talents and expertise with others.
- Participate in the excitement of our various seasonal events.
- Socialize with our Imua Family of staff and volunteers at our monthly coffees, annual celebrations and gatherings.
- Be recognized for your hard work and job well-done as you are awarded for your hours of service.
100 Hours – T-Shirt & 100-hour pin
500 Hours – Discovery Garden Bag + 500 Hours pin
1,000 Hours – Day Trip w/lunch + 1,000 hours pin
2,500 Hours – Day Trip w/lunch + 2,500 hours pin
5,000 Hours – Name on a Plaque in Volunteer area + 5,000 hours pin
After 100 hours receive an ongoing 10% discount on any Discovery Gardens Merchandise
Best of all, gain the satisfaction of being an active participant in the growth of creating a new Maui legacy landmark and a contributor to improving our community and the lives of children and families.